Haye drops Chisora, Khan outclassed by Garcia

Updated: July 15, 2012

David Haye settled his grudge showdown with Dereck Chisora with an exciting fifth round stoppage of his British heavyweight rival in front of over 30,000 supporters at Upton Park.

Former world heavyweight and cruiserweight champion Haye twice floored Chisora with left hooks in the fifth round and when his rival was deposited on the canvas for a second time, the fight was stopped by referee Luis Pabon.

Haye improved to 25 wins — 24 by stoppage — and two defeats while Chisora suffered his fourth defeat in his 19th fight, and his fourth setback in his last five bouts.

Haye captured the minor World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Organisation (WBO) International heavyweight titles for winning this controversial clash that boxing authorities tried to ban.

After settling a festering feud that began with a public punch-up earlier this year, the pair hugged and made up after the end of their explosive encounter.

Haye hopes the impressive display will increase calls for him to face World Boxing Council (WBC) title-holder Vitali Klitschko.

“I’ve sent out a very scary message. I’ll be surprised if Vitali Klitschko wants to fight me after that. He will no doubt try to fight some chump and then retire to be a politician,” said Haye.

Klitschko, 40, is due to face Syrian Manuel Charr on September 10 and could then retire to concentrate on a full-time political career. Haye’s hope is Klitschko will be tempted by one more lucrative pay-day as the Ukrainian’s younger brother Wladimir has said he is not interested in a rematch with the Briton.

At the Mandalay Bay in Vegas,


Danny Garcia stopped Amir Khan in the fourth round to win another super-lightweight title in Las Vegas on Saturday night.

The American knocked the Briton down with a left hook in the third round, but the 2004 Olympic Games silver medallist beat the count.

At the start of the fourth Garcia hit Khan with power punches, knocking him down twice quickly.

Khan got back to his feet each time, but the referee ended the bout after 2 minutes and 28 seconds of the round.

The American now holds the WBA title to go along with his WBC one.