Montreal snaps Portland’s home unbeaten run

Updated: March 10, 2013

The Montreal Impact put an end to the Portland
Timbers’ fine run of home form on Saturday, stealing three points with a 2-1
win at Jeld-Wen Field.

Portland came into the match riding a seven-game unbeaten streak on its home
field, dating back to last season. But goals from Hassoun Camara and Felipe
Martins snapped that spell despite Ryan Johnson’s strike in the closing

Both of Montreal’s two wins this term have come away from Saputo Stadium,
matching the club’s total of two road victories from the 2012 season. The
Impact opened the new campaign with a 1-0 win over Seattle Sounders FC at
CenturyLink Field, and Saturday’s victory over another team from the Pacific
Northwest leaves the Canadian club with six points through two matches.

Montreal came within inches of opening the scoring in the 11th minute, but
Marco Di Vaio’s header was brushed aside by Donovan Ricketts’ fingertips in a
sprawling save from the Jamaican goalkeeper.

The breakthrough eventually came at the half-hour mark when a deflected
clearance was turned in by Camara’s sensational overhead kick.

Portland attempted to claw its way back and thought it had claimed a penalty
in the 40th minute when Ryan Miller appeared to be pushed down by Sanna
Nyassi, but referee Edvin Jurisevic ruled that the Montreal winger got enough
of the ball before contact to limit the Timbers to a corner kick.

Montreal doubled its advantage at the hour mark when Andres Romero ran on to
Patrice Bernier’s through ball and centered a pass for Martins to beat
Ricketts at his near post.

Portland cut the deficit in half with a superb sequence 10 minutes from time.
Diego Chara floated a lofted pass to the right flank to find Ben Zemanski, who
cushioned the delivery with his chest before picking out Johnson at the back
post. The Jamaican striker got on the end of the inch-perfect cross and
slipped a low shot past Troy Perkins with a one-time effort.

The Timbers continued to push in search of an equalizer in the vein of their
opening match of the season, a contest that saw Darlington Nagbe net a late
goal in the club’s 3-3 draw with Red Bull New York. But no such goal came this
time around, leaving Portland with just a point from its first two matches
under new head coach Caleb Porter.